What are the Connecticut Core Standards?
K-12 academic standards in mathematics and English language arts/literacy adopted by the CT State Board of Education and by states across the country in 2010.
Establish what students should understand, know, and be able to do as they progress through grades K-12
- Curriculum units based on these standards will be implemented in both mathematics and English-language arts in grades K-5 this year
For more information, go to www.corestandards.org
Smith STEM School Reading Beliefs
1. Choice in what students read and how much they read influences motivation and achievement.
2. Texts need to have a small challenge in order for students to problem-solve and apply new learning.
3. Students need to do lots of independent reading of self-selected texts.
4. Easy access to books students can and want to read is crucial to readers’ success.
5. Students need to be taught how to choose “just right” books.